Meeting 12 - Learning to judge

Photo: Eugene Kim / Flickr / CC 2.0

Meeting 12 -- Everyone has a role

1. Opening prayer

2. Minutes of last meeting

3. Review of life and action – SJA

What happened this week? It may be something that happened at work, or in the family. It may be a conversation or an article you read.

SEE

1. The facts? What exactly happened? What was your action in response?

2. The causes? What caused this to happen and why?

3. The consequences? How did it affect the people involved?

JUDGE

1. Your opinion? What are the good and bad things about this happening? And what about your action?

2. Your ideals? What do you think should be happening?

3. Your faith? What does it challenge you to do and be?

ACT

1. Long term aim? What exactly do you want to change?

2. Short term aim? What action could you take this week that would be a worthwhile step towards achieving this change?

3. Involving others? Who could you involve in your action?

4. The SJA method

The first question of the Judge section challenges the members to give their opinion about what has been revealed in the See section. It is only when we have made a considered opinion that is respected that we can be truly open to having that opinion challenged and deepened.

There are not so many situations where there is only one right answer to what we should think. Everybody has an important contribution to make. We know that we can all learn by listening to other's opinions.

The SJA is based on a conviction that we all have a special role to fulfil in life and that this role is revealed by the situations we face. This means that God speaks to young workers in their everyday situations. We must listen deeply to the person involved and hear their opinion.

An experience from the YCW

“When I went to my first meeting, I was very impressed by how interested everybody was in what was happening at my workplace – what I did at work each day and how I got on with other workers.

Then I was asked my opinion of what I thought about the situations I had described. No one had ever asked my opinion like that before. I had to think. From the YCW I learnt the value of being able to have an opinion about anything that happens around me. It gives power and meaning to my life.”

5. General business

6. Closing prayer and social