Meeting 11 - The SJA in nine questions


Meeting 11 - The See Judge Act in nine questions

1. Opening prayer

2. Minutes of last meeting

3. Review of life and action – SJA

What happened this week? Share about something that made you angry or happy or confused or depressed – something that really affected you.

SEE

1. The facts? What exactly happened? What was your action in response?

2. The causes? What caused this to happen and why?

3. The consequences? How did it affect the people involved?

JUDGE

1. Your opinion? What are the good and bad things about this happening? And what about your action?

2. Your ideals? What do you think should be happening?

3. Your faith? What does it challenge you to do and be?

ACT

1. Long term aim? What exactly do you want to change?

2. Short term aim? What action could you take this week that would be a worthwhile step towards achieving this change?

3. Involving others? Who could you involve in your action?

4. The SJA method

If you look at the outlines of previous meetings, you will note that the enquiries are all divided into see, judge, and act sections. This is the basis of the SJA method. It is something that is both very simple and basic and at the same time something very efficient and creative.

In this meeting we introduce the ‘Nine famous questions’ as a means of doing our Review of Life and Action. They are a helpful means to assist with Review of Life and Action but they should not be taken one by one as necessary steps. Rather they should be used as a help for the leader.

If a group, for example, decides to spend some time reflecting deeply on the see section of any situation they will probably find that they can achieve a much deeper analysis. They will also find that there are many more things to learn about most situations than we, at first, realise.

Action ideas

“I remember telling the group about a problem that I was having with my father. I expected them to be sympathetic and to support me in rejecting my father. But instead they made me stop and think about why my father said the things he did.

They made me see that my father had his problems and his weaknesses – and that he needed understanding and help. It helped me to grow up in my attitude and to learn to love my parents as an adult – not just to relate to them as children.”

5. General business

6. Closing prayer and social